Summer used to make me so happy--long sunny days, warm weather, spending time outdoors. I would get more energy in the summer, look for any opportunities to go for walks...but in Istanbul with the addition of a few more degrees Celsius and a ton more humidity, I'm not quite as enthusiastic as I once was. Right now all this sunny hot humid weather just makes me sweat and makes me tired and lazy. Generally I prefer to stay inside where I can wear my shorts and there's a fan. When I have to go places I am constantly in search of the shadiest and/or breeziest side of the street to walk down. On the train or minibus, I prefer to stand because if you sit, you often get up with sweat marks on you, lovely. When my language helper comes to my house for my lesson, the first thing she does is go to the washroom to change her shirt. I've actually taken on a common Turkish habit of wearing undershirts even in the summer, sounds crazy, but they at least absorb the sweat so that your t-shirt doesn't expose how sweaty you really are. It's surprisingly effective. Smells tend to be intensified in the heat, walking past a garbage bin, or even just walking downwind of one is an experience, and of course there's always the smell of sweaty people.
When I wake up in the morning and it's overcast, I am ecstatic.
I know I shouldn't be complaining, it's really not that bad, it's just I'm a Calgarian, I'm used to cool and dry, I have yet to acclimatize to hot and humid. I haven't got a clue how people in Thailand or the Amazon function...
Saturday, August 18, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You know, I never realized why the folks here wear undershirts... but I guess it IS to soak up the sweat. Maybe I should try that sometime. Unfortunately, it seems to be so sweaty here that a lot of people seem to sweat right THROUGH the undershirt AND the top shirt. Funny question - do you find that your sweat smells there?! Um, yeah, sounds a little weird, but we find that we seem to sweat so much, it sort of dilutes the smell or something... People here (me included) carry around little hankies, or even facecloths that they use to wipe the sweat from their faces!
I know, the heat here can't possibly compare with the heat there! I must say I'm glad I'm not there...
I remember you mentioning the sweat rags before, also that you sometimes coordinate your sweat rag with your outfit;) I love it.
Post a Comment