Saturday, March 15, 2008

Great teeth?!

So I went to the dentist the other day for a regular cleaning (it's been well over a year since the previous) and as this Turkish dentist took a look around (with state-of-the-art equipment I might add) I was informed that my teeth were clean already!! I have never, ever, been told that by a dentist in Canada, not ever.

I don't know if his comment was more a reflection of the type of teeth he normally sees on a regular basis here; or of the obsession we seem to have in North America with aesthetic perfection, i.e. perfect white teeth; or of the money-making industry that seems to be the dental industry in North America...perhaps it was a combination of all of the above, not really sure.

Whatever the reason, I have to say it was so very nice to go to a dentist and not be guilt-tripped or shamed about the status of my teeth but rather praised, praised for not smoking and praised for my efforts at taking care of my teeth:)

No comments: